Skip to content

What Does it Mean to be a GOTR SoleMate?

October 7, 2009

SoleMates LogoBeing a Girls on the Run SoleMate means caring about the future of the young girls in our area and across the nation. Whether you are an avid runner, a mother of a young girl or girls, or just someone looking for a good cause that helps the local Atlanta community, it could be a great fit for you.

I personally, am not a mother, of boys or girls. I one day hope to be. I am a runner – but “avid” may also be a stretch. I run, but I run slowly and sometimes I walk when I should be running. So, I guess my reason for joining the GOTR SoleMates was really because I have a strong desire to give back to the community and I want to help these girls have the opportunity to step outside of the “Girl Box.”

I guess it also lines up with my own life. I work in the construction and design industry, which is a male-dominated industry. I am so impressed by my peers that are female leaders in this industry. They have proved that you can be a woman in this industry and be successful. So…I want to make sure these little girls that I coach and raise money for know they have the same opportunities to be anything they want….they get to take that girl box and make it non-existent! That phrase, “Anything Boys can do, Girls can do better.” Although better may not always be accurate, but I think it should read, “Whatever Boys can do, Girls can do Also!”

GOTR SoleMates make a commitment to participate in a race of their choice and raise a minimum of $262. Anyone can raise this amount – it is easily attainable. If you are a runner, if you care about our young girls or are just looking for a good cause to support – this is the one for you. Ask 26 of your friends for $10. Ask 10 friends for $26. Ask 5 friends for $52…you can raise this money! 80% of the funds raised goes directly to the local council for GOTR. The other 20% goes back to the national GOTR office.

Come on….sign up today!! The more SoleMates we have, the more girls that will be provided the opportunity to step outside of the Girl Box!

Stacey is a GOTR Atlanta coach and a member of GOTR Atlanta’s Board of Directors. In this role she serves as the team lead of GOTR Atlanta SoleMates.

Stacey Chapman, far right, with fellow SoleMates at the 13.1 Atlanta half-marathon.

Stacey Chapman, far right, with fellow SoleMates at the 13.1 Atlanta half-marathon.

Advertisements
No comments yet

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: